Wednesday, October 22, 2008

People we meet...or try to hide from

So I'm at the car wash the other day, the kind you leave your car at the door, and they drive it through, dry it etc...so I go into pay and there's this guy, he just looks like an a-hole. Bluetooth headset stuck in his ear, he's playing with his Blackberry, shirt, tie, fancy shoes, etc. Anyways, he starts talking to the 70-something clerk that takes your money. And he's being pretty nice and pleasant, discussing the weather, other mundane topics. Then I hear him say "man I gotta lot of money tied up in some hedge funds, see I'm a hedge fund manager, I've got some big clients, so-and-so, blah blah blah". Yeah just when I was starting to think maybe I've misjudged the guy he starts to go all name droppey on me. And whining about the economy. Goodness. So then that led me to my next train of thought which was, I kinda used to be like that, or maybe I still am. Not a hedge fund manager, but rather the name dropper. You see I went to high school with the kid whose grandparents own our MLB team, you see that kind of stuff. Not that the kid would know me from Adam if he saw me on the street. Which then led me to another thought, I hide from people, totally. For a girl who likes to talk, and could talk to a tree, I hide from people that I think I know, or that I do know. Two thoughts will run through my mind if I see someone I've known in the past:
a. crap, I don't know if I went to highschool with them, or college, or just worked with them, or maybe she does my nails, or does her kid go to my kid's daycare?
b. crap, that's so-and-so and the totally won't remember my name.
So. I. Hide.
Like the time the husband and I were in Fazoli's and my highschool boyfriend was standing in line in front of us. I gave my husband my order and about faced and found a seat. All the time praying this kid wouldn't see me. I don't know if I feared that he would only slightly recognize me, but not remember my name or he would remember me all too well. I mean it had been at least 7 years since I last saw or talked to this guy. I also discovered in the last year, that I've been working with a girl that I did go to highschool with, we didnt hang out, but we had a class of only 200, so you would think we would know each other. But we didn't. I finally asked her at lunch one day, where did you go to school. And then we realized it. We had both married and had new last names, so it was understandable we didnt place each other immediately, and now that we've gotten that over with, we're work buddies.
And then there is the issue of sorority sisters. I have so many. With a sorority that had at least 120-140 girls per year, with classes of 40 coming in each fall, I've had plenty of them. 3 that I would call my best friends in the world. And we still stay in touch, and live in the same city, do Christmas, b-day's and weddings together. And then I would say there are about 10 more girls that I would do anything for, but we don't talk that often, if at all. Unless its by email, or at a football game. Then there are the rest. Some I remember, some I don't, some don't remember me. Just a few weeks ago, and my local ice cream place I could swear one of the girls that I hung out with quite a bit was standing in line in front of me, but I did it. I hid. Not really because I had to order our ice cream, but I made a big show of not making eye contact for fear she wouldn't know who I was, or she would and then there would be all the uncomfortable, forced, "oh hi, this is my husband, baby, dog, mother in law, etc", but really would that be so bad??

I should really try harder to keep in contact with friends I like.

No comments: