Friday, October 10, 2008

Grandma's

So today's post is not going to be about a gripe, I had a good day today. I got to work on time, L was in a good mood (except for the tumble she took into a chair and subsequent cut on her cheek, but more on that later) and I got to fill in for my boss on a big director staff call and it made me feel good that he trusted me with that. J just gave me a big bowl of ice cream, so all is good in the world.

Today's post is about grandma's and why we should all love ours. I have both my grandmothers still with me, and thank god L has both of hers. J on the other hand only has one, and she's technically old enough to be my great grandmother. The sad part is all of our GiGi's live more than 4 hours away, and only one of L's grandma's lives in the area.

Today is my Granny's Birthday. She is 76 years old. She still lives alone, babysits the great grand babies and cooks fabulous meals. She is a mother to 4, grandmother to 10 and great grand mother to 5. And I miss her so much today. Of course I sent a card, but I usually don't call to talk to her, because she has trouble hearing over the phone. But I went to Tar Jay earlier and saw the cutest little old woman walking the aisles just looking at stuff. I had to fight the urge to give her a hug right there. She probably would have smacked me upside the head with her purse, but it would have been worth it. So I called my granny, right there from the laundry soap aisle. And we had a wonderful conversation. She learned about L's spill at school and the scrape on her knee, all just because she is learning to walk. We talked about my sister K and her upcoming big test, and then about the visit my family is making next weekend. But man did I miss her. She was supposed to come visit last weekend with my mom, but she has an inner ear infection that makes her dizzy and didn't think a 4 hour train ride was best. I was so looking forward to spending 2 whole days with her, and none of the other grand kids (sorry guys, but its my turn now). Alas, it didn't happen, but we will see her soon, hopefully at Thanksgiving.

So the moral of my little story is to appreciate your grandmothers. Doesn't matter if they had a small presence, or if they raised you, with out them you wouldn't be here....



No comments: