Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Once Bitten

So I said I wasn't going to do it. I told myself I was too old. I'm almost 30 for crying out loud. Then the frenzy started picking up. The Today Show started covering it, doing special interviews and pieces. I couldn't pick up a People Magazine with out seeing something about it. Then the other Mommies started talking about it. "Are we too old?" they would say. But dangit, even after a year of telling myself I wasn't going to cave, and even enduring the movie release and all that frenzy, I did it. That's right folks, I bought a $4.44 copy of Twilight at Sams Club the other day. Actually it was like a month ago. And then I stashed it under my night stand until I was done with the book I was currently reading. Which I took my sweet time reading. I don't think I was totally convinced I was going to read it yet. Then I did. And Oh.My.God. Now I get it. Now I know what all the fuss is about. Now I know why my friend at work was somewhat chagrined when he called his wife one day last week at home and asked her what she had done that day and she defensively said "well I at least got off the couch and brushed my teeth!" (she was in the middle of the 3rd book). I don't really know how long it took me to read that first book. I know I started it sometime last week and finished it by Sunday night. I know that Sunday afternoon, in anticipation of finishing the 1st book I purchased the 2nd. So I finished it Sunday night, watched the movie Monday night, and finished the 2nd book yesterday. Tuesday. 580 pages, read in 2 nights. And now? I'm plotting my trip home to include a stop at Sam's to pick up book number 3. Probably I should just pick up book 4 while I am at it. And this is after telling myself that I would at least wait until Friday to buy it. I can certainly go 2 whole nights with out my Edward fix can't I? (For anyone that has read it, that's why I read New Moon so fast, I needed to find Edward. For the rest of you, I don't want to spoil it, so that's all I am going to say). Seriously. What.Is.Wrong.With.Me? Am I going to have a gaping hole when I finish the 4th book? What will I do to bide my time until New Moon comes out? And I refuse to go to the theater with all the teenagers to see it. I'll just get it on Blu Ray a couple of months later. That I can hold out for.

No comments: