Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Whipping up secrets

It was cold today, try 10 degrees kind of cold. It was also snowing all day, so I worked from home and we kept L home from her half day at daycare. Around 330 when L finally took a nap I decided to try out my new cookbook, Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld.
My friend Erica got it for me for Christmas because, apparently my friends do listen when I talk and she knew L was somewhat of a picky eater. She'll only eat peas, carrots, cookies and chicken from Chick-fil-A, and anything that has been smothered in tomato sauce.
First I had to make a butternut squash puree. Just so happened we had a very large butternut squash and nothing planned for it. First I had J cut it in half because I'm a wuss, and then I roasted it, scraped out the insides and blended it all up. It made almost 3 whole cups of puree, which I froze 2 of.



I then used the butternut squash puree to make some awesome chicken and cheese quesadilla's that also contained a navy bean and sour cream mixture. We'll be eating this one a lot.


The second recipe I made was for Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies, but the "secret" ingredient was a whole can of garbanzo beans. I was skeptical but you really can't taste them at all and L and J both ate two with no complaints. I may trick some other people into eating them, as the batch made 3 dozen. You'll notice from the picture I am not using my new Kitchen Aide mixer yet. I promised my mom that I wouldn't open it until Christmas, so it sits under the tree with a big bow on it.
Its back to work again tomorrow, but then probably going to have some rain/sleet/ice mixture move through tomorrow night, so I may be stuck at home again Thursday meaning L will miss her other day of daycare also, which sucks. She's getting bored. I'm looking forward to Christmas and new toys. Here she is getting into my desk drawer out of sheer boredom.

No comments: