Wednesday, May 20, 2009

2 years ago today

My water broke. I honestly thought I peed my pants. I was an uncomfortable 9 months and 3 weeks pregnant and my due date was in 4 days. When we left to go to the hospital I figured they'd send us right back home. We stopped at Panera on the way for a little breakfast. It was a lazy Sunday morning. I think our only plans had been to go to church that day. Not spend all day in the hospital in labor.
But when we got there the litmus paper turned pink and they said "yep, water broke, lets get you all hooked up". And there we were. May 20th. I thought that's fun, her birthday will be 2 days before mine instead of 2 days after. What I didn't know was that it was going to be 22 more hours before she was born.
I hadn't really had any contractions at this point. Maybe one or two that weren't uncomfortable and for the most part I didn't notice. We called my aunt that lives here in KC, then my parents and sister so they could start their 4 hour drive in from St. Louis, and my in-laws who are also here in KC. By 1pm I still wasn't having contractions and they ordered pitocin. Side note to all who are pregnant with their first child- run for the hills when they mention pitocin. Awful stuff. And I know I am not the only one that feels that way.
By 3pm I had watched how to lose a guy in 10 days, was part way through a baseball game and my contractions were so bad and one on top of the other with no breaks that I was begging, begging for anything. They gave me stadol and the nurse decreased the level of pitocin so I was a bit relieved, even though I could now see two of everything. By the time my parents arrived I was coming down off my high and getting ready to get the blessed epidural. Did you know those things have a self medicating button? I had everyone counting down the minutes until my next dose.
But at midnight the clocked rolled over to the 21st and no baby. I had now been in labor for 15 hours in a hospital bed the whole time. And I could still feel every bit of those contractions. At one point James says to me "you're doing great honey, you hang in there" and through gritted teeth I replied "where else am I going to go?"
to be continued...

No comments: