Friday, February 13, 2009

Mr. Mom

James current role is Mr. Mom. Because I am sick. With the stomach flu. There is nothing I hate more than puking. Lucky me, I only got morning sickness when I forgot to eat before bed. Two times that I can think of, one was in Las Vegas. We were watching the filming of the final table of the Bellagio Poker Classic, for the World Poker Tour so we had skipped dinner. By the time we ate it was 10pm and I was starving. The next morning I puked in the restroom of the Orleans Hotel. I'm sure every woman in that bathroom thought I was just hungover, and not 5 months pregnant. The other time was just a few weeks later, over Christmas break, I just felt icky and must have forgotten to eat because I found myself again head hanging over the toilet. Then a month after that I ate some cereal I thought might have tasted funny, and turns out the milk was bad. Three hours later when I was still puking and now thinking I was having contractions, we made a trip to the ER and they sent us straight up to the Maternity Floor. Where I proceeded to puke on the nurse that just 4 months later would help deliver Lily. Destiny was a great nurse! She taught me all about the self medicating epidural button.

Anyways, I hate puking. I'd rather do a lot of other things than puke. But ever since I had a baby, I get a tummy bug at least 2x a year. Must be daycare. My first day back at work after Maternity leave, I ended up leaving at lunch because I got sick. Turns out it wasn't jitters from leaving my baby at daycare. So I missed my first two days back at work. And of course Lily's had 3 bouts with the tummy bug. Her last one was last Friday. I thought she drank bad milk. As quick as the puking had come on, it ended. She started at 11pm and was sound asleep and no more puking by 1am. And she was all better the next day.

So when I went to bed Wednesday night I could tell something was wrong. My stomach hurt, like it hurts the day before a big test or interview. I didn't sleep a wink. Tossing and turning all night. James had to leave for work by 6am, because he was heading out towards Topeka. So I had to suck it up, get Lil up and ready for school and drive her there. I made it there and back. Then the sickness came on. I spent all day yesterday in bed, either reading, sleeping or surfing the web. James got Lily from school, picked up my requested chicken noodle soup and roll from Panera (which is still in the fridge because I started getting sick again). Then he fed Lily dinner, got her in her PJ's, helped her write her school Valentine's for today's party, got Lily in bed and asleep with no fussies, took a shower, then went to the store to pick up the frosted sugar cookies I was supposed to make from scratch, but purposely signed up for in case I couldn't because I know the store has great ones!

And they left the house this morning at 630 so he could get her to school by the time they opened at 7am so he could still get to work only a few minutes late. And he did all this while battling either a cold, allergies or a sinus infection. And not once did I hear a complaint out of him. He even said he'd be home early today and would take care of cleaning the kitchen and I shouldn't worry about it.

I love Mr. Mom!

1 comment:

JenniCummings said...

Uggghhh. That is what I want to say when I read stuff like this. You poor thing! Just like Maria said, when it rains it pours! I hope you are feeling better and it sounds like you have a wonderful husband to help you with all the madness. I wanted to tell you when C got scared of the tub I started bathing him in the sink. It was shallow and he loved that he could play with the faucet. I think that was really what helped him get his mind off the water IN the tub. Hope this helps!